Thursday, September 30, 2010

WEEKLY CHALLENGE #1 - KEEPING A FOOD JOURNAL

I don't know about you, but this is the first time in my life that I've ever written down what I've eaten each day. Let's just say, I've realized that I like carbohydrates maybe more than I should. Today it was wheat thins, yesterday it was pretzels. (thanks, Ashley!) I'm realizing more and more each day that this challenge is all about awareness for me. And hopefully you too. Realistically speaking, I'm pretty sure I won't continue to record everything that I eat after this week, but hopefully I will make those mental notes and stop myself if it's not something I really need to be munching on.

Here are a few websites/templates to help you keep track of the calories and other nutritional values of your diet.

www.my-calorie-counter.com/
http://www.realsimple.com/static/pdfs/foodjournal.pdf

How's the record keeping going for you? Any tips or realizations you want to share?

5 comments:

  1. I was saying to Rebecca in an email earlier today that I saw my nutritionist today and she gives her complete endorsement to the challenge, saying that it addresses the right behaviors and promotes balance. I keep a general food journal regularly to show her (I see her about once every month, sometimes less, sometimes a little more), so this weekly challenge is easy peasy for me. Or so I thought--last night for some reason I completely spaced it, which is annoying!

    Anyway, she mentioned today in connection with a food journal being a challenge for only this week that many studies have shown that keeping a regular food journal is a big indicator in losing weight and maintaining weight loss. I have found that it doesn't always stop me from indulging, but there is something a little magical in the accountability of just writing it down, and I do think it's awareness of what's going in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree! I have never kept a food journal and I am surprised at how I make better choices when I have to write it down. Also, I was completely unaware that I was eating so many of my kids' snacks. Anyway, awareness is good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have also found that writing it down, or even knowing that i will be writing it down, helps me make better choices. it also helps me think about why i am eating things... is it to satisfy a sweet craving? am I really hungry or just bored? or am i just thirsty? i find that much of the time i am actually just thirsty. interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an FYI, I use sparkpeople.com to track things since it's free, and has an easy to use app for iphone users.

    I have kept journals for food many times in my life, but am always shocked at how easy it is to blow up a portion size or misjudge how much I've eaten until I write it down. Now every time I go to put something in my mouth, I remember I have to write it down and do I really want that to be what is in my food journal - and also that I have to be aware of how much I'm eating, so it stops me from thoughtlessly devouring, say, a container of goldfish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister (Jamie Anderson Calder--also on the challenge) told me about a food journaling app called "Lose It!" that is AWESOME!

    If you have an iPhone you can download it for free, and not only can you log your food but it will tell you how many calories you have eaten that day, what nutrients, etc. It's not perfect in terms of calorie count, I'm sure, but it def. gives you a good estimate.

    ReplyDelete