Thursday, October 14, 2010

What counts as a vegetable?

So, I probably should have posed this question earlier on.  I had this question earlier in the week when I wanted to have a bake potato and count it towards my 5 a day.  I had remembered hearing that a potato doesn't count (even though it is a vegetable).  I did a quick search on good and found a website that said it doesn't count towards your daily servings of vegetables and is considered a starch.  So, I just went along with that website.  Anyway, the discussion came up again yesterday when discussing if a chick pea was a vegetable.  So, I did a little more research tonight.  There are many websites claiming that a potato doesn't count, but what do they know?  The all knowing government says it does, so I think we should go with that.  I am sorry if I caused confusion to anyone out there.  Here is a list of vegetables and sub categories according the government.   Here is the link http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/vegetables.html  I, don't think french fries count, though.  But, what do I know?  I didn't even think a chick pea was a vegetable.
 

What foods are in the vegetable group?
Divider
Any vegetable or 100% vegetable juice counts as a member of the vegetable group. Vegetables may be raw or cooked; fresh, frozen, canned, or dried/dehydrated; and may be whole, cut-up, or mashed.

Vegetables are organized into 5 subgroups, based on their nutrient content. Some commonly eaten vegetables in each subgroup are:


Vegetables Food Gallery
Dark green vegetables
bok choy
broccoli
collard greens
dark green leafy lettuce
kale
mesclun
mustard greens
romaine lettuce
spinach
turnip greens
watercress

Orange vegetables
acorn squash
butternut squash
carrots
hubbard squash
pumpkin
sweetpotatoes

Dry beans and peas
black beans
black-eyed peas
garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
kidney beans
lentils
lima beans (mature)
navy beans
pinto beans
soy beans
split peas
tofu (bean curd made from soybeans)
white beans



Starchy vegetables
corn
green peas
lima beans (green)
potatoes

Other vegetables
artichokes
asparagus
bean sprouts
beets
Brussels sprouts
cabbage
cauliflower
celery
cucumbers
eggplant
green beans
green or red peppers
iceberg (head) lettuce
mushrooms
okra
onions
parsnips
tomatoes
tomato juice
vegetable juice
turnips
wax beans
zucchini

2 comments:

  1. i did not know that all those beans were considered vegetables! weird. thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that french fries fit under the "fitness" category, although they are delicious. And many southerners do consider them a vegetable :)

    As for potatoes and beans, I don't really think of them as a vegetable, at least not if I'm going to CHALLENGE myself. It's a lot more challenging for me to eat vegetable-vegetables, and I feel healthier...so I'm pounding the broccoli!

    ReplyDelete